Monday, May 5, 2008

My first gardening blog - Hoe Naomi

Hello all - I'm Naomi, one of the above-mentioned GardenHoes. I have never blogged before, but after reading an article in the Austin American Statesman, I asked another Hoe to set up a blog because I was so inspired (lol). So, here I am.

I'm a return gardener, finding gardening recently in the past few years (when my husband moved me out into the sticks). I used to garden with my mother as a child (and have horrible memories of itching after picking okra), and after I got married, started a small vegetable garden at our old house. Then the aforementioned move to the sticks and five acres and too far away from any other reasonable civilized activity, so I picked up gardening again.

I'm not much of a picture person, but I do have a "before" type pics. This is of the front of the house and one of my first projects. When we bought the house, the yard was very boring and plain - grass up to the wall. So, I decided to change that.



We've done some more work since then....















We've added a pond with a smaller connecting pond, bog and a waterfall, which is my husband's labor of love (and contribution to the gardening madness). I've also started (still in progress - always in progress!) to landscape the front of the house, including trying to get rid of any grass from the front door up to the first hill.

In the back (which I don't have pictures of), we've recently put up a greenhouse and moved our vegetable garden from its location for the past two years to the back.

I'm also working on the sides of the house, but again, everything is still in progress. We've got kind of a rustic Sanford and Son feel to our yard, but it works for us. So, I've introduced myself and my garden - welcome again to the GardenHoes blog!

No comments: