Monday, May 12, 2008

Weekend shopping

So, this weekend I went nursery shopping. Told my husband that since I was in the area, I might as well stop by, right? Picked up citrus trees (supposedly) for him to replace ones we left in the ground last year, and stuff for me.

The Natural Gardener in South Austin has got to be one of the best nurseries around, with a great selection of EVERYTHING! I bought one Meyer lemon, one Mexican lime and one dwarf orange tree. Plus, bat face cupheas, ciger plants, a 30% off gerber daisy (discounted due to slight hail damage), and herbs.

Last year, I planted the bat face cuphea in my front yard. I'm in Zone 8b, but it's supposed to be a perennial to about 15 degrees. When it first froze back, I cut it down to about 6", mulched the roots, and then when it warmed up, uncovered it. I did this with my blue plumbago also.

Neither of the plants came back this year, and I finally broke down and pulled the out and replaced them. I hate that two of my favorite plants are not winter tough. I could do pots, but I'm not a good waterer and pots dry out too quickly for me. So, I guess I'll just have to learn to propagate from Heather and overwinter in my greenhouse until next spring when I can plant again! So, for those that live in Leander, be careful of your bat face cupheas and plumbagos....

So, since my shopping was primarily to replace plants rather than to really buy new plants, it's not really plant shopping, right? Hey, at least it's not shoes!

Hoe Naomi

No comments: