Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Ladybugs and Flowers




Unfortunately, between the massive heat Naomi mentioned in a previous post and the fact that all these dogs we have had, along with our two, have completely destroyed WAY TOO MANY of my plants, I've not got much to report on that is in all its gloriousness and bloom. My vegetable garden this year BLOWS and my other beds have suffered, well... horrible deaths thanks to dogs digging up plants in the never ending search for cool earth and considering my gardens are the only thing I've messed with watering lately... well... it doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure out why the dogs dig there. Anyway, I digress....

Some of my current bloom activity is occurring in my pond garden. The ice plant that serves as Tiki-Man's "hair" never ceases to put on a bloom or two (and usually when I need them most to brighten my day). The red trumpet plant is one I don't know what it is. It was an almost dead mystery plant I received a few years ago. Always scraggly, it never bloomed (until this year) but it also continued to come back each year despite my lack of a green thumb. Still small, it has these very pretty red trumpet flowers on it. Now that I've seen the flower, maybe I can figure out what it is. I've got some beautiful purslane that is planted in some of the rocks bordering my pond. So far, so good. Nothing else has lived here but these apricot beauties are doing well (keeping my fingers crossed!). Hopefully, over the next month or so I can get pictures of all my plants so I can organize myself and know what things are and where.
Lastly is one of my pond plants. It has had a bloom here or a bloom there but this morning on my way to work I peeked at the garden and KAPOW! I was hit with the beauty of 10 or more open blooms on my mystery plant. This plant (the one with the white flowers) was a neglected one...the only one... in the pond when we bought our home. Near death, I repotted it and figured we'd see what happened. Last year it was just grass looking stuff but definitely looked a little healthier. This year we had the grass type stuff again but then it sprouted up these beautiful spider-like white blooms with purple sepals. I was very excited so sharing a pix of that with you as well.

I'm looking forward to beginning my fall plantings here in the coming weeks so I can, hopefully, get a little flora before year's end..and hopefully some veggies as well. First though, I must run so I can figure out what to plant. Plus... Naomi's going to be here in a bit to bring me some goodies from HER garden...which IS doing well. Don't ask..she can make a stone flower, i don't care what she says... --Hoe Heather

No comments: