Monday, July 14, 2008

Summer Heat Wave

So, it's day 742 of 100 degree weather (maybe a slight exaggeration), and nothing in my garden is happy. Neither am I - too hot to do anything fruitful, and everything withering away. It hit 100 degrees really early this year (May) and you can tell. All my heat tolerant landscape plants are drooping, my garden is producing funny shaped cucumbers and little cracked tomatoes, and the deer and rabbits have decided that since nothing else is growing, they'll eat my plants. Heck - they have stripped my guara, cannas, even my lamb's ear has nibble marks!

But - one bright spot recently. I have been planting my mystery bulbs under the shade of the only big tree we have. Saturday, I noticed that a few of the bulbs had flowers and guess what they are? Pink rain lilies!

I was soooo happy to see that something was still alive. This is not a picture of my rain lily however, as Sunday morning only one survived the deer/ rabbit onslaught of the night before. Hopefully though, I can get a picture of the last sole survivor and post it instead of this canned shot.

Even though the flowers didn't last, it was nice to see that something is still surviving the hot weather and my lackluster efforts.

Hope the weather is not treating you as badly where you are!
Hoe Naomi

No comments: